For information only - not an official document
25 July 2016
Students and Young Graduates tackle Global Challenges
at the Vienna International Centre (VIC)
Vienna International Model United Nations (VIMUN) 2016
VIENNA, 25 July (UN Information Service) - Some 250 would-be diplomats from about 30 countries will participate in this year's Vienna International Model United Nations (VIMUN), which will take place from 31 July to 4 August 2016 at the Vienna International Centre (VIC).
Young people from 18 to 35 years of age will put their diplomatic skills to the test and simulate negotiations of specific committees and organs of the United Nations and international organizations.
While simulating the role of a diplomat of a country other than their own and negotiating on its behalf, the students and young graduates not only get an insight into a UN diplomat's work and make practical use of their political knowledge, but also develop leadership, research, writing, public-speaking and problem-solving skills and gain experience in consensus building, conflict resolution and cooperation.
The simulation conference, which is part of a worldwide series of Model United Nations (MUN) meetings, is organized by the United Nations Youth and Student Association of Austria - Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs and hosted by the United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV).
VIMUN Secretary General 2016 will be Alexander Henzl, a student of national economy at the University of Vienna.
UNIS Vienna Director Martin Nesirky will speak at the opening of the conference.
The following topics will be discussed in six different committees during VIMUN 2016:
- Human Rights Council: "Human Rights and Private Military Companies"
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA): "Nuclear Terrorism"
- Security Council: "Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflicts"
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) - International Bioethics Committee: "Genetic Manipulation and Gene Therapy"
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) - Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice: "Combating Human Trafficking"
- World Trade Organization (WTO): "Global Employment Crisis"
Media representatives are invited to cover the event, including the opening session on 1 August. Those who are not already accredited to the VIC should email to press[at]unvienna.org by 28 July 2016 COB for accreditation.
* *** *
For further information, please contact:
NGO/CSO Liaison, UNIS Vienna
Telephone: (+43-1) 26060-3324
Secretary-General, Vienna International Model United Nations (VIMUN)
Mobile: (+43-664) 441 47 84
Website: http://www.vimun.org or http://www.modelun.at or http://afa.at