Media Advisory Note
We would like to draw your attention to the following events in connection with the Forty-sixth Session of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs that you might want to consider covering:
- Wednesday, 9 April – 10 a.m. – Vienna International Centre – CO4 Board Room: Mini-Forum entitled "Alternative Methods in the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Addictions," organized by the NGO Committee on Narcotic Drugs at the UN Office in Vienna followed by the opening of an exhibition to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the NGO Committee.
2 p.m. (Austria Centre – Foyer GH), Exhibit opening, Thailand’s Experience with the Alternative Development (The Chief Executive Officer of Doi Tung Development Project – the leader of alternative development projects in Thailand – is attending the session and if you want to interview him or the head of Thailand’s delegation, please contact Mr. Ronvudhi Virabutr, Permanent Mission of Thailand, Tel: 43-1- 478 33 35, E-mail: email@example.com)
- Monday, 14 April – 11:00 a.m. (Austria Center - In or just outside the plenary meeting hall) - A Swedish NGO Hassela Nordic Network - a network for national and international exchange of drug-related information and anti-drug action – will present to Mr. Antonio Maria Costa, Executive Director of UNODC, and to CND Chairman, Patricia Olamendi, the Under-Secretary for Global Affairs in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico, one million signatures collected since November 2002 by young people from 48 countries in support of international counter-narcotic efforts. Their view is: "We are the future, and we say ‘No’!" A representative group of young persons from Austria, Italy and Sweden, will present the million signatories. The group will be accompanied by Ms. Manou Lindholm, former member of the Swedish Parliament.
- Tuesday, 15 April 2003 – 11:00 a.m. (Vienna International Centre – Room CO3)
Ministerial Segment Preview-Press briefing with the CND Chairman, Patricia Olamendi of Mexico; Antonio Maria Costa, the Executive Director, UNODC; and James Callahan, Director of the Division for Treaty Affairs, UNODC.
- Wednesday, 16 April – (tentatively 1:30 p.m.) at Austria Center Press Working Area
Press briefing(s) with chairmen/speakers of the ancillary technical experts meetings (on HIV/AIDS, treatment and rehabilitation, law enforcement and alternative development)
10 a.m. – 1 p.m. – NGO Committee on Narcotic Drugs Forum on UNODC Operational Priorities: How NGOs Can Help (Vienna International Centre – Conference Room I)
- Thursday, 17 April (tentatively 1:30 p.m. – Austria Center Press Working Area)
Press briefing with the CND Chairman , Mr. Costa, and chairmen of all four round tables discussing the following drug control issues:
Challenges, new trends and patterns of the world drug problem;
Countering illicit drug supply;
Strengthening international cooperation in countering the world drug problem, based on the principle of shared responsibility; and demand reduction and preventive policies.
* *** *